There was an error in this gadget

Friday, 3 June 2011

Despite the hypocracy of my fellow Councillors. Pengroes plans still on course.


PLANS for a major re-development at Penygroes  including the provision of a new school, doctors surgery and care home  are still on course, Llandybie community councillors have been told.

The claim came from local councillor Kevin Edwards during a discussion on whether a long-closed footpath across the former Emlyn Colliery Tip would soon be re-opened for members of the public.

Technical officer Brian James said the county councils area footpaths officer had been told that re-development of the land would not take place for some time.

But Cllr Edwards maintained the landowners  who were party to a Section 106 agreement - did not want the footpath re-opened as clearance of the old colliery site could be starting within the next six weeks.

He added: The landowners are still happy to build a new surgery there as was the case three years ago.

My understanding is that this re-development would include 97 houses, a new doctors surgery, a new school and care home.

Both owners are not prepared to allow any access across there. They tell me they dont want the footpath to go ahead as they are worried about contaminated waste being dumped there.

And Cllr Edwards stated that health chiefs would prefer a new surgery at Penygroes rather than being based in other monstrosity and nonsense of a health centre earmarked for Cross Hands.

But Cllr Peter Roberts argued that councillors had heard it all before. "We've been promised so much and been to numerous exhibitions in the past only to have been let down time and time again, he told colleagues.

Considering that economic conditions are hardly conducive to building a major development such as this I think we should go ahead with this footpath. And Cllr Llinos Hindley said the local authoritys footpaths officer was keen to see the right of way re-opened as it had been closed for so many years.

It was agreed to prepare a report for the councils next meeting on June 29.

Source http://www.southwalesguardian.co.uk/news/9064310.Pengroes_plans_still_on_course__says_councillor/
.
Since I became a Councillor in 2008 I have always supported this development. I have worked behind the scenes always hoping that this project would go ahead despite the objections of every other Councillor in Penygroes.


We could now as close as six weeks away to this becoming reality.


It would mean that the Doctors Surgery would not have to close and relocate to Crosshands something that most residents would be greatful for.


This would also protect the Chemists and the splendid nearby cafe.


I find it amazing that this project has received such negativity in the past.


Let's hope common sense will now prevail.


Kevin


Related articles

http://www.southwalesguardian.co.uk/news/ammanfordnews/1986596._Save_our_village_surgery_/

http://www.southwalesguardian.co.uk/news/ammanfordnews/8224886.Closure_of_Penygroes_surgery__was_a_big_shock_/

http://www.southwalesguardian.co.uk/news/ammanfordnews/8196767.Llandybie_councillors_fight_for_GP_surgery/
.

No comments: